Have you heard about Freedom Cove? It’s a floating home on the west coast of Vancouver Island, near Tofino. But “floating home” doesn’t do it justice. These guys have a four greenhouses and a garden, for instance, all on floats in the middle of the cove. Mashable describes it as a floating sanctuary that provides artistic inspiration:
Walking through their home for the first time is a bizarre experience. You enter through a front gate made of two whale ribs. You sit and relax in the living room, with a hole cut in the floor so Wayne can catch fish from his couch. The whole house, tethered to the land and floating on armored foam, is always moving with the ebb and flow of the tide. [continue]
OK, that fishing-from-the-couch thing sounds really fun.
What do you think? Could you live like in a floating home like this one?
Here are some more articles about Freedom Cove, some with fantastic photos.
- This family lives on a floating fortress of greenhouses in the middle of the ocean – theplaidzebra.com
- Self-sufficient couple builds their own floating off-grid island (Video) – treehugger.com
- Couple Dedicates 20 Years To Building A Self-Sufficient, Floating Island To Live Off The Grid – demilked.com
- Freedom Cove: An Off-the-Grid Floating Island Home – greenoptimistic.com
- This Incredible Floating House Complex is Truly Off-The-Grid – interestingengineering.com