From the BBC: Mystery of cardinal’s missing bones.
A forensic archaeologist has raised fresh questions over why no remains were found in the grave of an English cardinal in line to become a saint.
It comes just days before artefacts owned by Cardinal John Henry Newman go on display ahead of his possible beatification.
Tens of thousands of mourners lined the streets of Birmingham in 1890 as Cardinal John Henry Newman’s body was carried eight miles to its final resting place.
Some 118 years later the Vatican ordered his remains be dug up. [continue].
Related news articles
- No physical remains of Cardinal Newman found in his grave at Rednal (includes photo of brass inscription plate on Newman’s coffin)- Times Online
More about Cardinal Newman
- John Henry Newman – Wikipedia
- John Henry Newman – Catholic Encyclopedia
- Apologia Pro Vita Sua – Wikipedia
- Apologia Pro Vita Sua (Online version of the book.) – NewmanReader.org