If someone told me years ago that he or she had found a way to do an end run around the sweat equity of traditional gardening, a way around digging, weeding, and rototilling, a way to produce more regardless of time constraints, physical limitations, or power-tool ineptness… well, I would have checked that person for a head injury. Yet such a system is actually possible, though I never would have believed it if I hadn’t stumbled upon the basics myself.
Lasagna gardening was borne of my own frustrations. After my husband retired from the U.S. Navy, we began our next period of work as innkeepers. When the demands on my time became so great that I could no longer do all that was required to keep both the business and the garden going, the garden suffered. I’d plant in the spring, then see the garden go unattended. I needed a way to do it all.
Just when I was about to give up, it happened: a bountiful harvest with no work. [continue]
Sounds great, doesn’t it? Later on in the article I found another idea I must remember to try:
When guests come for dinner, I give them a colander and a pair of scissors and point them toward the garden. They come back with an interesting collection of edibles and never forget the experience. Lots of good gardeners start out by getting their feet dirty in someone else’s garden.
- Seven steps to building a lasagna garden – gardenwiseonline.ca
- Lasagna Gardening – Gardenwiseonline.ca
- An Introduction to Lasagna Gardening – thriftyfun.com
- Layered lasagna gardening – gardening-guides.com
- Lasagna Gardening – no-dig-vegetablegarden.com
- ‘Lasagna’ gardens grow like weeds – Victoria Times Colonist
- Lasagna Gardening: No Digging, no Tilling, no Weeding! – easybalconygardening.com
- Lasagna Gardening 101 – Our Garden Gang
- Lasagna Gardening: New Layer System For Bountiful Gardens – amazon.ca
- Lasagna Gardening For Small Spaces: A Layering System For Big Garden Results In Small Garden Containers – amazon.ca
- Lasagna Gardening With Herbs: Enjoy Fresh Flavor,Fragrance,& Beauty – amazon.ca
- Lasagna Gardening – Rodale Store – Rodale Store (Rodale publishes the Lasagna Gardening books.)