So the Associated Press seems to have lost its mind: they want bloggers to pay them for quoting excerpts from an AP story. How much? 12.50 for four words. I don’t know what they’re smoking over there, but seems like it’s crazy strong stuff. Here are some of the best responses I’ve seen on the matter:
- The Associated Press wants to charge you $12.50 to quote five words from them – Making Light
- The Associated Press: worse than merely foolish – Making Light
- Associated Press expects you to pay to license 5-word quotations (and reserves the right to terminate your license) – BoingBoing.net
- Here’s Our New Policy on AP Stories: They’re Banned – TechCrunch.com
My own reaction is pretty much the same as the one posted at TechCrunch. Why would I want to send any traffic to AP now? Why would I want to include any of their content if this is how they’re going to treat bloggers? Nuts to that.
- The AP has violated my copyright and I demand justice – TechCrunch.com
- UnAssociated Press – Blogger Boycott and Petition of Associated Press